Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ensemble Script

So I've come to realization on my re-write: it's really an ensemble story. Or at least that's how I think it can be the strongest script.

And this freaks me out. New territory. I've felt a bit lost since this realization.

Ok, time for this project to have a codename. We'll call it codename: Autism Story.

Obviously, from the codename you can deduce it's about autism in some way. It centers around an autistic boy with perfect pitch. As written currently, the boy is the main character. But as a character this is a big problem. Currently he shows some change, but it's forced and really not very realistic. Since this is such a hot-bed issue these days I'm really striving to capture the realism of the situation. I've done a lot of reading research and as soon as I'm done with working full-time I'm going to begin meeting and interviewing real people: doctors and teachers and families and autistic kids.

But it's already clear to me that my first issue to tackle has been who is the main character? And that's been a struggle. Is it the teacher? Mom? Sister? Everytime I've tried to develop these characters to be main it seems a bit stretched and too far from point....blah blah blah just not quite right. You know.

So in the past week or so I've been so busy I haven't had any time to work on it at all but my brain has been brewing. And I came upon a realization: I have multiple main characters. It needs to be an ensemble.

It came to my visually. The autistic child is the center, like a sun in a galaxy. the other characters are like planets orbiting around the sun. Of course their importance (virtual closeness) will vary. But I realized that the autistic child will indeed change, but only in response to changes in all these characters orbiting around him. Kinda like people speaking different languages finally communicating. except that it's the planets that are learning to communicate differently and the sun (child) is changing only in response to finally understanding the language. (here's where my analogy breaks down horribly so forgive me.)

Why does this worry me so? Well, as I mentioned above this is new territory for me. I've never attempted an ensemble script. And I tend to be wary of them: so many ensemble movies have left me with a bad taste in my mouth: of course I will indentify with someone but I'll never be happy with the amount of screentime they are given. It can be hard to develop that character relationship I desire. But then again of the ensemble films I enjoy, I hardly notice they are. Seamless and beautiful. So it seems to be very hit or miss.

I'm worried about screwing this up.

So if anyone has any insight or advice on writing a strong ensemble piece, please do share. Or, if by chance you have some direct experience with Austism please speak up.

It's very very very important to me to do this right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.