Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two Thongs

Sometimes a typo works better. And that would be this blog post title. I intended Things, but sometimes fate pulls a fast one. And sometimes fate is named Shiraz.

Numero Uno: The Artist's Way

I can't believe how long it took me. I had been told by many, many people that I need to read Julie Cameron's book The Artist's Way.

Although I do regret the previous lapse in judgment, I'm actually in the perfect place and time right now for it to help and stick. Because I want it. Really. I'm ready, and I've shown myself (finally) that I am. I actually believe it.

I've just started the book and the introduction has been freaking me out. In a good way. I'll keep ya'll posted on my process. Even if you don't give a shit.

Numero Dos: My script

Fuck it -- I'm telling ya'll the title. PERFECT PITCH.

Ok, technically it's not the title yet, really. Like, to the producer or anyone else involved except me. I'm waiting for the right moment to...pitch it. Anyway, I like it a lot better than the current title and works perfectly in so many ways.

But so I had a realization about the script. Which has me sort-of in a panic. I've written here before about how I need to change the main character. What I'm realizing more and more is that it's a bit of an ensemble piece. And I've never attempted an ensemble before.

I'm freakin out a bit. And I've been so slammed with the last days of work and various required social functions that I've had no time to write. But actually, it's been perfectly timed to my process: At first I scribbled a lot of notes and did a bunch of research before I got busy. (I think I mentioned before the story involves an autistic boy and it's very important to me that I provide a realistic viewpoint.)

When I've been too busy to write lately my brain has been brewing. In my research phase I read a wide variety of viewpoints and informational sources. (Have I told you lately how much I abso-fucking-lutely love the InterWebs?) And in that time all those ideas were so varied that my logical brain kept them separate. Time provided the way: I saw how they could all come together and work.

And it starts with the fact it's an ensemble script.

The idea is the easy part.

My loyal readership -- any advice you can provide is like a welcoming hug. Shower me.

3 comments:

savinoboy said...

You had me at Shiraz.

What is this artists way you speak of???

It's hard to give advice about a script (story) one cannot see. But, have you ever considered that your main character isn't the main character? Maybe it's someone else? Here's a weird example, but did you know that the main character in Pixar's "A Bug's Life" was originally the circus flea character. They realized he had no real connection with the story and gave the main character status to FliK. Everything fell neatlty into place and the rest is history.

The only reason I am stuck on main character (even though you feel your script is an ensemble) is that I don't really believe in ensemble casts. I really believe that EVERY story has a main character. and needs one. I could be wrong and most often I am.

I have one question... how does the autistic boy fit into the story??? If it's in a way that I think it is, then I might have a suggestion for you.

Good luck!!!
Chris

Queen Kellee said...

The script is a re-write. As written, the main character is the "obvious" choice (the autistic boy), but because of the nature of the character and story it doesn't work.

So I've been trying out various possibilities, while also working on the story itself.

I do agree that even an ensemble has a main character. it's just that the supporting characters also have more presence, a stronger arc themselves. I think the key is with balance.

savinoboy said...

I'm picking up what you are putting down.

I suppose you've already taken the angle of Travelling Angel?

None the less It sounds as though you are close to cracking this nut!

Best
Chris