Monday, June 04, 2007

Hi, Me

I've had a habit since I was young.

I talk to myself.

Granted, there are times when I'm more...shy. When I live with/around a bunch of people, for instance. See, they think you're talking to them...and then you have to explain. Then you're forced into just whispering -- or even mouthing. Or sometimes it's all just trapped in your head, the whole conversation.

I had a realization: do other writers do this? Is this a normal trait for other story-smiths?

Personally, I find that being able to really talk out loud to yourself is exponentially more helpful than just keeping it all in your head. There's a second set of brain processing that goes on when it must first come out your mouth and then filter it's way back in through your ears and THEN hits your brain.

If it's bullshit, an alarm goes off. Why? I think it's the "coming out of someone else's mouth" filter at work.

Anyway, share. Do you? Should you? Could you? Try it, at least. Best done when alone. We tend to self-sensor if we think people can hear us...

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I talk to myself when I'm writing. I didn't realize it at first. My daughter pointed it out, right after she called me a crazy lady.

It's not that I read out loud what I'm writing, or about to write, but I have these little conversations with my characters - sometimes in their voice and character.

I tend to agree with my daughter - I'm a crazy lady.

annabel said...

I frequently talk to myself. It seems to be a common trait in my family. It might be crazy, but it works for me.

Rudy Martinez said...

It's good to know that females do it too.