Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Big Jump

Soon I make the big jump. Bittersweet excitement.

I simply cannot make the days pass fast enough to be done with my job on the TV show -- mid-March for the curious. Not that there's really anything wrong with the show or my job, it's just not where I want to be.

Months ago I decided that I was going to write full time when this show is over. I will have to take on some little jobs to help with the bills --short, sweet and decent paying. Little editing gigs, motion graphics projects, maybe a website or graphics work. But my focus, my core intention is on writing.

Thankfully, I will be able to Just Write for a while...I've worked so much in the past year I've earned it. Of course, I'm equally excited and terrified.

It reminds me of my senior year in high school -- back in West Des Moines, Iowa. In Iowa, they grow the smartest kids ever. So smart, in fact, that they all leave shortly after graduation. It took me a bit longer, but I eventually followed the masses Elsewhere. Anyway, long before I actually left, I was decidedly DONE with high school, ready to be out-out-out...yet not quite ready for my best friends to go off in all different directions for college.

But then, we still had the summer.

That's how I want to set my mentality: this freedom I'm going to feel: it's fleeting and will be gone before I know it. So make it fraking count.

3 comments:

deepstructure said...

definitely enjoy it. i've managed to wrangle almost a year off on two separate occasions. the first time it took me eight months to figure out how to just relax and enjoy the time off.

and don't let anyone give you grief. i got both sides - those jealous of me who encouraged me to relish every moment, and those who chided me for not doing enough with the time.

Queen Kellee said...

Back in January 2001 I was laid off from my dot-com job. Unemployment taught me a new world I never knew existed after spending my life in schools and work: what time did I want to get up if I was only on my own schedule? Go to bed? How do I want to spend my days? It was a time of great discovery that led to freelancing ever since (save for a waiting tables job or two when I first started freelancing) until I took this TV show job last summer.

But I learned bad habits working at home. And spent far too long working in the other areas I like (motion graphics, video editing, animation) but putting off my primary goals of writer/director.

As for griefers: I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't much listen to those people: they're just too busy worrying about me. Should be spending that time worrying about themselves.

Thanks for the comments!!! I've been checking out your blog, too. good stuff.

Anonymous said...

this is how I've lived most of my life...not as easy as it looks.

But welcome.