Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New Developments

Holy Shit.

I've been hired for my first official screenwriting gig. It's a rewrite of a script I read and gave some notes on a few years ago. I thought it was dead. I guess it's only the current script that's dead because I've been tapped to re-write it. The producer loves me. Loves all my ideas. We've got a great rapport. Sounds almost toooo good to be true.

(Shut up. Why do you have to doubt every good thing that happens to you?)

The script itself needs a lot more drama. Everything needs to be way amped. The basic story is there I think. Mostly. Sorta. But it requires at least one major change: the main character. Right now the main character is a child with a developmental disability. It doesn't work. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the teacher, creating a whole lot of character arc work and structure change. Just to start.

I'm super excited. It's a family drama with an uplifting ending, but should have moments of funny. And if I know this producer as much as I think I do, this will get made. The story is an important one to tell, and timely.

But of course I have some moments of sheer panic that I will somehow make the script worse. Then I get over it.

The subject matter requires a decent amount of research, research that I sorta don't want to be doing because I want to jump in and write but not only is the research information integral to the plot, but it's providing me even more inspirations about ways to improve the story. So I'm back and forth. Internet. Outlining. Jotting down little things. Repeat.

I almost hate to admit it, but one of the best things about this project is the sense of deadline. I don't have any kind of date deadline yet (it's too early to know especially while I'm still working full time for a few more weeks). But I have the knowledge that someone is waiting for my draft.

And as much as that also freaks me out a bit, it does so in that all important motivating way.

so yay. for me. finally.

4 comments:

savinoboy said...

I've never commented here before, but I guess I will be the first to congratulate you. Your description of how your feeling made me laugh because I feel that way all the time. Have you gotten the taste of wanting to throw up out of your system? I'm in that stage right now. I hope you will continue to post about your process of this re-write. You prolly can't give too many details about the actual script but it's great to read about the emotional and technical process people go through.

Congrats again,
Chris

http://savinoboy.blogspot.com

deepstructure said...

congrats kellee! im sure you'll do an excellent job.

Queen Kellee said...

thanks guys. i think i would be a lot more nervous if i didn't have the beloved scribosphere. it's been such a great educational, motivational and support tool.

Scribe LA said...

Fantastic! Yay for you:-)
Scribe